The Indian Army is the land-based branch and the largest component of the Indian Armed Forces. Toady is Army Day, celebrated on 15ᵗʰ January every year in India. The President of India serves as the Supreme Commander of the Indian Army, and it is commanded by the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), who is a four-star General. Two officers have been conferred the rank of Field marshal, a five-star rank, which is a ceremonial position of great honour. The Indian Army originated from the armies of the East India Company, which eventually became the British Indian Army, and the armies of the princely states, which finally became the national army after independence.
Here are few amazing facts about Indian army and reason behind celebration of Army day:
- Indian Military is the third largest in the world next to USA and China. It sits on 5th spot when it comes to strength. It has more than 13,25,000 active troops and more than 9,60,000 reserved with more than 40,000 of them regularly reporting for duty.
- India has biggest “voluntary” army in the world. All serving and reserve personnel have actually “opted” for the service. There is a provision for conscription (forced recruitment) in the constitution, but it has never been used.
- The Indo Pakistan war of 1971 came to end with the surrender of about 93,000 combatants and officials of Pakistani army. This is the largest number of POW’s taken into custody since World War II. As a result of the war independent state of Bangladesh was created.
- India controls the highest battlefield in the world, the Siachen Glacier at 5000 metres above Mean Sea Level(MSL). There is 10% of the amount of oxygen available in Siachen than it is in plains. Indian soldiers are considered among the very best in high altitude and mountain warfare.
- Indian Army has never been biased. It is one of the only government organization in the country to recruit without any provisions for reservation based on caste, creed or religion. Candidates are selected into Army based on merit and their physical fitness. At this day occasion we must encourage.
- Operation Rahat (2013) carried out by Indian Air Force to evacuate civilians affected by floods in Uttarakhand in 2013. It was the biggest civillian rescue operation in the world carried out by Indian Air Force using helicopters. During the first phase of operation from 17 June 2013, the IAF airlifted a total of about 20,000 people; flying a total of 21 40 sorties and dropping a total of 3,82,400 kg of relief material and equipment
- “The president Bodyguard” is Indian Army is oldest armoured regiment. It was formed in 1773.
- The Military Engineering Service (MES) is one of the biggest construction agency in India. The MES and Border Roads Organisation (BRO) are all together responsible for the construction and maintenance of some of the most awesome and highest bridges over the belt.
- Indian Army built the highest bridge in the world it is located in Ladakh Valley between Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains.It was built by Indian army in August 1982.
- Indian Army’s High Altitude Warfare School(HAWS) is one of the most elite military training centres in the world. Hence, it is frequented by Special Ops teams from U.S, U,K and Russia.
Our soldiers on the border sacrifice many things to protect all of us living in this great nation. Thus,on this important day ( army day ) let us all show our gratitude to our brave soldiers for their service to the motherland.