What Is a Sour Stomach
Sour stomach is a common condition, which occurs to almost everybody irrespective of their age. The issue of sour stomach, which generally associated with the upper gastro intestine, occurs due to the indigestion of the food we eat. It is also known as acid indigestion. Upset stomach and acid reflux are the two common terms that are associated with the sour stomach.
Causes of Sour Stomach
Sour stomach, which is often related to digestive problems occurs due to various reasons. Some of the main causes of sour stomach are:
- Eating spicy food
- Eating large meals
- Eating spoiled food
- Excessive alcohol or carbonated beverage consumption
- Eating the food fast and without chewing it
- Sleeping on the stomach immediately after taking food
- Stress and anxiety
- Infection in the GI track
- A recurrent sour stomach may be caused due to chronic conditions like gastritis, peptic ulcer etc.
Symptoms of Sour Stomach
A person suffering from sour stomach experiences many symptoms. The common symptoms of the sour stomach are:
- Bloated stomach
- Frequent belching
- Pain in the abdomen and stomach
- Bad taste in the mouth
Home Remedies for Sour Stomach
There are many sour stomach remedies that you can use to treat as well as get relief from the uneasiness and the symptoms of the sour stomach. These home remedies for sour stomach are not only effective but also are easy to follow. The most important thing about using home remedies to treat various health issues is that these natural remedies do not cause any side effects and at the same time do not burn a whole in your pocket.
So let’s go through the home remedies for sour stomach that are mentioned below.
Carrot to Treat Sour Stomach
Carrot juice boosts the capacity of the stomach to digest the food properly. This super food carrot heals the sour stomach and helps to get the stomach better.
- Medium size carrot- 2 to 3
- Ripe banana
- Water – ½ cup
- A blender
- Clean the carrots with water and cut them into small pieces.
- Peel the banana and cut to make pieces.
- In the blender take the carrot and banana pieces and add ½ cup of water to it.
- Blend the carrot and banana pieces to make a smoothie.
- Drink it to treat the sour stomach.
Milk and Honey for the Sour Stomach
While experiencing the sour stomach issue, you can also drink milk to get relief from it. It helps to coat the stomach lining and reduces the sour belches. The honey in this remedy will offer a soothing effect to the stomach by coating the stomach lining. In addition to that it also helps to remove the bad bacteria that cause sour stomach.
- Warm milk – 1 glass
- Honey – 2 tsp
- Take 1 glass of warm milk and 2 tsp of honey to it.
- Stir the ingredients well and drink it.
- Use this home remedy to get instant relief from the sour stomach issue.
Lemon to Get Rid of Sour Stomach
Here lemon clears the misconception about itself. People often believe that due to the acidic nature of lemon, it cannot treat the sour stomach, but the fact is that it’s very acidic nature helps to generate alkaline residues in the body. This process in turn regularizes the pH balance of the body, thus treats sour stomach effectively.
- Lemon – 1
- Water – 1 glass
- Take 1 glass of water.
- Cut the lemon into half and squeeze the juices into the water in the glass.
- Stir it well and drink it to get relief from the sour stomach.
- You will get relief from belching as well as uneasiness 30 minutes after taking this drink.
How to Prevent Sour Stomach
It is always wise to prevent the disease from occurring in the first place. Along with the remedies if you follow the tips, you can treat the disease as well as prevent it from occurring again. The preventive measures are more useful for the people who suffer from this disease frequently with symptoms like abdominal bloating, belching, uneasiness, etc.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water per day as it will help to digest the food.
- Eat light food with high fiber content.
- Have a balanced diet and avoid consuming spicy, salty and fried food.
- Eat your food by chewing it properly.
- Eat small meals and have sufficient gap between the meals.
- Do not go to sleep immediately after the meals. Go for half an hour walking after the meals.
- Avoid taking carbonated drinks, caffeine and carbonated drinks.
- Quit smoking and tobacco consumption.
- Perform exercises every day to keep yourself fit and active.
- Practice yoga to keep stress and anxiety at bay because sometimes sour stomach occurs due to these.
So now you know how to treat sour stomach with home remedies. So go for the home remedies and go healthy!